Monday, December 14, 2009

It's Very Quiet Over Here

I really have had very little to say the last few days. Got a couple of form rejections. Blah, blah, blah. Nothing to report. Making slow progress on the MG WIP. I'm hoping to write some tonight after a shower. Nothing like an 11PM shower to startle one awake and get the creative muse fired up.

The only thing I have even felt like writing lately was a pissy post about how much I disliked the Harry Potter 6 movie. I watched it on DVD the other night and was painfully reminded how much that film disappointed me. The 5th movie blew me away. It was by far the best movie in the franchise (and I was surprised, because it was one of my less favorite books in the series - though I like them all) but as a movie: SLAM. DUNK.

So I was thrilled that the same director was doing the 6th and I had high hopes and then it came out and I watched it and I was like W.....T......F. Ron's house burning down? Wha-huh? Harry and Ginny's big kiss? What a letdown. I know people have said those two actors have no charisma together, and that it's like watching someone kiss their sister, but that's not strong enough in my opinion. Kissing their lesbian sister? No. Even a dyed in the wool lesbian could work up more enthusiasm for Harry than Ginny did in that scene. I imagine that they did like 40 takes of that scene and finally someone leans into the director and whispers, "Just give it up. It's not happening." Everything felt really heavy-handed and boorish. And at the end, when Dumbledore dies? Totally not believable. And the thing with everyone pointing their glowing wands at the sky? OK, I get that they were driving away the dark mark with their show of unity or whatever, but hello. I'm not at a goddamn Rush concert.

OK. I told myself I wasn't going to do this. [chokes back sob]

2 comments:

  1. You know, the blahs seem to be contagious in the blogosphere (the blah-go-sphere?). My daughter and I were up in your neck of the woods the other night for a Girl Scout outing at the Bowl & Skate. Apropos of nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travener- bowling and skating at the same time? Tell me more! (I've only been in this area for a few months, I virtually never crossed the county line in the northerly direction the entire time I lived in Seattle, so this is all new territory for me. I can't wait for my little ones to be big enough to do stuff like that. They're very timid physically, so it may be a long time, if ever....

    ReplyDelete