Monday, December 7, 2009

Word Count Climbing

I'm up to 4,500+ words on my middle grade WIP, after a most successful thousand word hour at work tonight. Gotta love those slow Sunday nights. I could have written more, but I get off at 11:30 and I really didn't want to be driving home any later than necessary. It was 34 degrees out when I left work and it was down to 20 by the time I got home. Who knows how cold it will actually get tonight, but I didn't need the roads any icier than they already were.

I'm really enjoying the way the story is shaping up, and I'm liking the writing process too. I'm realizing that I've learned a whole lot about showing versus telling, and it's coming out in this new book. I'm going to try to fix Blink, I really am, but I think it's way easier to just write it correctly the first time. The book is tentatively titled The Tooth Fairy's Assistant, but I think I will have to probably change the title, because it certainly does take the mystery out of the career path my main character is on. I've put my edgy YA novel on hold. That one's just too different, and I really am afraid of mixing voices. That would be BAD. Bad. Bad. Bad.

On the home front, I am sick, and sick of being sick. To that end, I tried a Neti pot for the first time last night. Honestly, it wasn't nearly as weird an experience as I expected it to be. I think I will try to make it a regular ritual. Two things to keep in mind: 1. You must not forget to keep your mouth open and breathe while Neti-potting. 2. You must not laugh hysterically (or allow your husband to laugh hysterically) while Neti-potting. It doesn't help at all.

That's all for now!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the wording.

    My mother loves her Neti-pot and has been encourgaging me to try it. So far, I have an aversion to the idea of it. It sort of gives me the willies. Just a little.

    Nice to see you on fb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to Google Neti pot. One word. Gross. Sounds like a nasal enema. Bleechh.

    Congrats on the progress with the WIP.

    ReplyDelete