Sunday, January 17, 2010

Can We Ever Just Let the Past Lie?

Last night I was rumbling around on Facebook and I saw that a friend of mine had joined a new group, one set up specifically to support a planned documentary on the punk scene in my old stomping grounds from the late 80s and early 90s (the heyday of my involvement). I had to go look.

For a few minutes, I was kind of nostalgic, looking through the pictures and remembering all the craziness of that time, but as I lingered there longer a new thought worked its way into my mind and it got louder and louder and louder until I couldn't ignore it anymore and it was shouting at me "MY GOD! MOVE THE FUCK ON!"

The thing is, nobody cares about that scene. Nobody but us, the people who lived it. So that's what? A couple hundred? And if you're me, *you* don't even care that much. IT WAS TWENTY YEARS AGO. Maybe a documentary about it would be interesting to other people who weren't there. But I doubt it. It's not like it was New York, or London, or anywhere that produced anything of any lasting value or notoriety. The biggest thing to come out of our neck of the woods was MxPx. Um. I'm not that impressed, are you? Who wants to watch an exhaustive chronicle of the lives of a bunch of screwed up kids, too poor to feel like they were living the American Dream, but too well-off to be impoverished?

Yes, we had a lot of fun. Yes, way too many people died, much more than your average teenage cohort. But Bremerton's nothing but murderers, drug addicts, and the clinically depressed, so throw in punk rock and some schitzophrenia, and you've got a recipe for disaster. I am just insanely irritated by these people who are so in love with their twenty years ago selves that they're still trying to wave that black flag. Move on people. It wasn't *that* cool.

But oh my. The memories. And it gave me a good idea for a new type of blog post. I'm going to call it "Fact or Fiction." And I'll either write something that's totally made up, or a real autobiographical experience from my own life. Then you can vote on whether its true or not. I'm not sure if there will be prizes. We'll see if there's even any interest in playing. Look for a post later tonight!

5 comments:

  1. I have a fb account to keep up with local people I know. Very surprising how they have groups to think about the "good old days." And I'm like you...really don't care about them.

    The fact or fiction post sounds cool....give it a whirl:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to "Fact or Fiction." If it catches on, you can turn it into a TV game show and you'll be stinking rich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids call it two truths and a lie. Sounds like a interesting game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, fact or fiction. Can't wait for that!

    ReplyDelete